East Palo Alto, California
Reducing Gun Violence through Offender-Focused Strategies
Site Final Report:
The goal of the East Palo Alto SPI was to evaluate the use of gunshot detection systems technology and address high levels of citywide shooting incidents. The City of East Palo Alto deployed gunshot detection systems citywide at the beginning of 2009, primarily as a rapid response tool. The East Palo Alto SPI aimed to use a place-based policing strategy for investigation, problem-solving, and crime-prevention efforts.
- Gunshot Location Detecting System (GLDS) data showed that shooting incidents peaked between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. and identified three chronic hot spots within the city.
- East Palo Alto SPI ShotSpotter analysis revealed:
- High rates of false positives decreased.
- There was no consensus among officers on whether the system results in shorter response times.
- The East Palo Alto Police Department increasingly used the system as an investigation and prosecution tool.