San Diego, California
Reducing Gang Violence by Targeting Offenders
Site Final Report:
The goal of the San Diego SPI was to develop a multifaceted project to combat the growing street gang issue in Mid-City San Diego. The East San Diego (ESD) gang, in particular, was identified as one of the more well-established gangs in the city. The project focused on targeted intelligence to inform violence suppression, correctional oversight to hold accountable ESD members on probation and/or parole, and community action in providing intervention services to high-risk youth. Efforts were driven by Intelligence-Led Policing and interagency and community collaboration.
- San Diego SPI conducted 49 data-driven operations resulting in:
- 411 field interviews; and
- 75 arrests (22 ESD leaders were removed).
- Intensive wraparound interventions were provided to 13 East San Diago (ESD) youth involved in gangs.
- 32 San Diego Police Department officers were provided Human Intelligence trainings.